Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mimi

My Mom, now also known as Mimi, has been my lifesaver since the day Hannah Cate graced us with her presence. At a time when everyone's focus was on my new baby, Mom's focus was on her baby....me. She made the four hour trip to Fairhope as soon as I called and stayed for 11 days. I didn't want for anything the entire time she was here. She cooked, cleaned, organized, did laundry, played with our poor neglected dogs, helped me develop my Mommy skills, loved on Hannah Cate. I have no idea what we would have done without her. I cried when she left....for an entire day! She loves Hannah Cate and I know that they will have such a special bond. I have the fondest memories of my Mom's Mama (my Grandmama), I wish she were still here to see what a great "grandmother" Mom is and what a precious baby Hannah Cate is.

We were so glad to see Mimi come back for a second visit last week. She came and stayed for another few days while Matt went up to Birmingham to help his parents move. The timing could not have been more perfect. She was able to go with us to the pediatrician's office for a weight check, where we found out that Hannah Cate wasn't gaining the weight she needed on my breast milk alone. We had to start a formula supplement, much to my disappointment. I never would have made it without Mom here. I know the Lord ordained her trip and took care of us. Before she left, she went with us for a second weight check and we rejoiced over a 9 ounce weight gain!

I was terribly sad to see Mom go (both times) but would not have traded her time here for anything! I feel like Hannah Cate has given me new eyes and new appreciation for so many things in life. One of which is a new kind of love and respect for the mother Mom has been to us. She's given me so much and lots to live up to in the world of motherhood.








Thank you Mom for all you have done for us! We all love you so much and look forward to your next visit!

9 comments:

The Hokansons said...

I've got to quit reading your blog at work! I can't wait until Mom and I get to have the same experience in a few months. It's so great to see her with Hannah Cate, and I am looking forward to seeing her sing to the yet to be named Hokanson baby. I also can't wait to be the spoiling aunt in a few weeks! I can't wait to meet my sweet niece and take notes from her wonderful mommy!

McKt said...

What a beautiful little girl! I found your blog off facebook, and just couldn't resist reading about your new little one. How wonderful to have your mom come and visit and help. I had to supplement with both my boys, and while it was a disappointment after much prayer and soul searching I knew my boys would be fine and I was just grateful that options existed. Good luck learning the mommy thing...you and Miss Hannah Cate will have fun teaching each other all about it!

e said...

What a precious post and what a sweet Mimi Hannah Cate has!

I did lots of research about the whole not gaining weight breastfeeding thing (jack was the same way)so if you need help, or just an ear (i know it can be tough!) call me!

Hannah Cate is as cute as ever!

Emily Chappell said...

I know I'm not Mimi, but if you need some help taking HC off your hands for an hour or two (or three or four!) I'm your girl. I'm thinking you and Matt need a date soon. :)

Aunt Janet said...

Very sweet and deserving tribute to your Mother and Grandmother. They were and are special ladies and Mother's. There is no doubt in my mind that you will following in their footsteps.
Aunt Janet

Anonymous said...

i loved this, sally. made me appreciate our parents all over again too! it is a wonderful feeling to watch our parents be grandparents--there is a freedom in their actions and words (er--goo goo's and ga ga's) that is so endearing...

Ryan and Emily said...

What sweet pictures! I know you will always treasure those moments with your mom and Hannah Cate. I can't wait to see you all.

Mimi said...

What a wonderful tribute! I'm not at all sure it is deserved, but I am humbled. Thank you! Hannah Cate is in such a loving home with two of the most caring parents I have ever been around and I have no doubt that she will grow up to appreciate them and someday make them as proud as I feel today!
For all of you that are new parents....this is what you hope for when you become Grandparents...May you be blessed! Again, thank you Sally & Matt!

Jason and Laura Brantley said...

mom's are the best! they just know how to be so helpful...I am forever endebted to my mom and all her help when Kate was little! Jason will be quick to tell you that its the only time we've had all our clothes washed and clean at one time!!