Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Greetings from Houston

We'll add Houston to the list of cities that Hannah Cate has already visited in her short existence. I've been traveling with my job since I started over five years ago, but this year I've started a slow down trend in the traveling department which has been especially enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, there have been some incredible experiences associated with my traveling job that I will forever be grateful for including a "free" stay at the Waldorf for our one year anniversary with hotel points earned from business travel, the discovery of my favorite US city - San Diego, two trips to Disney World and many weekend extensions from a business trip that Matt and I have been able to enjoy at a highly discounted price. However, as I look forward to this new phase of life, I'm really thankful that I'll be able to continue working but minus all the travel.

I do think I will miss some funny characters I have met along the way. Take for example my seat mate on my flight from Atlanta to Houston yesterday. He decided to strike up a conversation after he saw me searching for the "throw-up" bag in the row in front of me. I tried to be discreet in bringing it back to my seat, so as not to be alarming to my oh-so-close neighbor, but no such luck. I quickly get a nervous "I hope you won't be needing that" comment with a slight grin. And so begins our conversation in which I learn that this man is an OBGYN who lives in Houston and delivers babies on the weekends in Chattanooga. During the week, he is an attorney who represents clients who have medical malpractice suits against their doctor. Interesting. He went to law school at night while he was still practicing medicine and he gets his law clients by advertising in the phone book (he actually told me that, sounds a little shady and I think I would have chosen to leave that part out). He is married and has 7 children, I guess that explains the two jobs but not really the traveling every weekend to Chattanooga. The five youngest children are between the ages of 1 and 6, meaning his poor wife has pretty much been pregnant for 7 years straight. It literally wore me out talking to this man and made me so thankful for my simple little life. What a character he was.....it's things like this that I will miss about my travels. That and the airline miles, hotel points and great dinners. But I'm really going to enjoy being at home with Matt and Hannah Cate on a regular basis and that far outweighs the rest.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm sure Hannah Cate is loving "seeing" the world during all of your travels. Hopefully they will end soon- you don't want to have her JOIN the world in one of your adventurous cities!

Emily Chappell said...

So, did you throw up on him? He should have been prepared for that since he is an OB...

Lucy and Jason said...

this guy you met sounds like an over achiever weirdo.....medical school, law school, 7 kids! I am also thankful for our simple life!!!

The Nebrigs said...

What a character!!! I wonder if he became a lawyer so he wouldn't ever have to worry about a malpractice suit against himself? It might be pretty hard to have a case against an OBGYN who can also think like a laywer!!!