Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tagged

Sweet Emily tagged me well over a month ago, and for sake of our friendship, here goes.....

I'm supposed to list 10 random things about me that you might not know.

1. My real name is Sarah Virginia Barnes. Sally is no where in my birth name, it's not on my birth certificate, social security card, driver's license, etc. Sally is a nickname for Sarah, bet you didn't know that. Don't worry, you are not alone. But, my Mom knew it when I was born almost 28 years ago and so since that day I've been a Sally not a Sarah. They already had the name Sarah Virginia picked out, but she insists I didn't look like a Sarah when I was born and Sally was much more fitting.

2. In keeping with things that happened to me on the day I was born....I was a week late, but on the day I finally decided I was ready to make a grand entrance, I was really ready! When it was time for my Mom to start pushing, the doctor was delivering another baby in the room next door. To keep me from popping out on my own, they had to turn my Mom upside down in her hospital bed until the doctor finished with the other delivery. Dr. Parnell really wanted to be the one to deliver me because he loved my Mom so much, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I've never been good with patience and I've always liked to do things on my own timing, I guess I learned this at a very early age!

3. My red hair is natural, never been highlighted or color treated. I can't tell you the number of times that random people have commented on the color and I can tell they are waiting expectantly for me to divulge my stylist or the box that I use. It always cracks me up. I certainly didn't appreciate the uniqueness of my red hair as I was growing up, but now I wouldn't trade it!

4. When I was in elementary school, I chipped my left front tooth while I was playing on the playground. Years later when I got braces, the chipped tooth came back to bite me again when the gap between my front teeth wouldn't completely close because of the damage done years back. So, they had to give me a partial front tooth to make up the difference. You can't really tell just by looking at me (at least I hope not!) but every now and then it will break again on it's own. It has been several years (knock on wood) that it's happened, but I can very specifically remember the unfortunate times when it did. I looked like such a snaggle tooth and would refuse to open my mouth until I could make it to the dentist! I had nightmares before we got married that it would break the day before the wedding!

5. The very first time that I met Matt, I really didn't like him. I can very vividly remember standing in Michael Kellum's apartment in Auburn and in walked Matt Miller. He clearly thought he was "THE" Matt Miller and that I was privileged to meet him, and he felt the need to state this fact. Didn't go over very well with me, so I wrote him off as someone I would not likely be friends with. Little did I know......

6. My original career ambition was to work in the Marketing department for Estee Lauder. I absolutely love make up and love to do people's make up. I picked Estee Lauder because that's what my Mom always used and I knew they had several lines underneath the Lauder name. I carried this dream all the way through my time at Auburn, even working at an Estee Lauder counter at the Dillards in Columbus, GA the semester after I graduated from Auburn (I graduated a semester early, but wasn't quite ready to actually leave Auburn yet). That's when everything changed. Counter life was hard. Working retail was hard. Working with caddy and competitive women was extremely hard. It was an eye opening experience. From there I had options of going to a corporate office in Tampa or New York and working my way up OR going to another store to be a manager and work my way up through the ranks of a store with the goal of being promoted to a district manager. Moving to Tampa or New York didn't seem like an option for me at the time and I had learned that counter life was most definitely not an option for me. So there the dream and ambition died.

7. I am terribly forgetful. It's very rare that I go somewhere and don't leave something behind, or that at the end of a night I'm not having to ask someone "have you seen my keys?". Just ask my Dad, he has a basket on the table beside his front door that might as well have a sign above it that says "Things Sally left the last time she was here". It's become a joke of sorts, but it's really not funny! Pregnancy has really taken a toll on my forgetfulness and it seems to be 10 times worse.

8. I love to make lists. Very important, considering number 7 above! I use them to try to hide the fact that I am really forgetful. I really love to check things off my list. It's not rare that I will have multiple lists going at once.

9. I'm a really fast walker. I don't do it on purpose, I just walk fast. When I'm in the office in Birmingham, I get at least a comment a day on how fast I'm walking through the hall or that it's very obvious that it's me (when they can't see me) because they can "hear" me walking fast. I can remember shopping trips with my Mom and sister when I was younger and we all walked fast, so I guess it runs in the family. I do like to walk for exercise. On the days that Matt goes with me and I want to walk not run, he will jog beside me while I walk. We get some pretty hilarious looks and comments from people, but it works out great!

10. I've had some pretty neat experiences since I've worked and been traveling for White Plume. One of the best was getting to go to the Oprah show. One of my clients in Chicago is an OBGYN practice and Oprah is one of their patients. I became good friends with the Office Manager and she was able to get me and a couple of other ladies I work with tickets to a show. It just so happened that they were filming an entire show, plus putting some finishing touches on a show they had already taped. I was on TV for both shows! I got an email from a friend from high school after the show aired, and she said I saw someone that looked just like you on Oprah today.....it was me! Too bad Oprah seems to have gone off the deep end these days.

I tag:
Emily Hokanson, Christy Hensley, Krista Nebrig and Courtney Baxley

3 comments:

Emily Chappell said...

It's about time!!

I would have never guessed that about your tooth! My dad has one of those too!!

Anonymous said...

Love the list...so funny and learned some new things about you! That was a little crazy seeing you on Oprah that day...I remember we were living in NC and it was SO GOOD to see a familiar face from home. :) Hope your feeling good and getting plenty of rest. Love, Julie

Courtney said...

Hooray! I loved your list & I finally made mine :) Hope all is well gal!