Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Seattle

I had to make one last long distance trip for work, all the way across the country to Seattle. Matt, being the good and self-less husband that he is, agreed to make the trip with me! We decided to turn it into a "babymoon" so we headed out the weekend before my meetings. I was dreading the flight, but thanks to Dr. Shoemaker and the miracle drug of Phenergran that he prescribed for my troubles in the air, I slept like a baby on each leg of the flight! We got to Seattle on Saturday afternoon and wasted no time.

We headed straight to Snoqualmie Falls to take in the beautiful waterfall. I'm glad we made it to the bottom so we could get a good picture, but the hike back up was rough.....seeing that I'm carrying a few extra pounds these days!

After Snoqualmie, we headed back to downtown Seattle and found a great look out spot where we hung out for awhile and couldn't pass up the opportunity for a photo-op. It really was a great view of the Seattle skyline!

On Sunday we headed to Pike's Place Market and I was blown away! The amount of amazing produce and gorgeous flowers made me wish that I lived there and had easy access to such freshness.


After strolling around the market, we headed across the street to catch a ferry over to Bainbridge Island. I've never been on a ferry before, so it was a neat experience for me. Not something I would want to do every day for my commute though! Bainbridge Island was a cute little community with a quaint downtown and beautiful houses. It really kind of reminded me of Fairhope! We must have left the camera in the car because we didn't get any pictures from this part of the trip.


We ate at some great restaurants and really just throughly enjoyed our time together. Monday I had meetings for work and one was about an hour north of Seattle. We thought that our "vacation" was over at this point, because it was back to the original purpose of our trip....work! Little did we know, we were about to happen upon one of the most incredible sights we had ever seen! As we got further North, we started to notice signs for tulip fields and the National Tulip Festival. Matt had heard about the amazing tulip fields, but we didn't think we could fit it into our weekend. It turned out that the tulip fields were in the same town as my meeting and we were there at the perfect time of year. The tulips were in full bloom! Matt dropped me off at my meeting and went to scope out the sights.

He came across this field first, orange tulips as far as the eye could see. They were actually in the process of "topping" the tulips to make the bulbs stronger for when they pull them up to sell. By the time he picked me up from my meeting, they had completed topped this field and only the stems were left.


Luckily, there are lots of different fields! So, we headed a little further down the road to Tulip Town. I'm not sure that I have ever seen anything so beautiful with my own eyes. I had no idea that tulips came in so many different colors. There were just rows and rows and rows of tulips. If you are ever anywhere close to the Skagit Valley in April, I highly recommend making the trip! It was breath taking!

I am so thankful that we were able to fit in some fun time around this work trip. As excited as I am about Hannah Cate's arrival, I couldn't help but be a little saddened that trips like this just won't be as easy and things are really about to change.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I have never seen so many beautiful flowers!!! You look gorgeous Sally & I'm happy you & Matt had a good trip.

Shelley said...

That is my dream. I love tulips! Isn't it great how things sometimes work out even better than expected?!

Emily Chappell said...

Oh my soul, those tulips are so beautiful!! And the strawberries!!!