Saturday, December 26, 2009

Leading up to Christmas

It was such a different Christmas for us this year, but one that I will probably always remember. It was our first Christmas to actually spend in our own home since Matt and I have been married. I love the traditions that we have in Birmingham, but it was nice to start to establish some of our own traditions as a family. And I'll have to say that I didn't miss all the running around, living out of our car for a week and the packing/unpacking that goes with traveling during the holidays!

We did make a trip up to Birmingham a few weeks before Christmas for a multi-purpose weekend where we had a White Plume baby shower for Madelyn, celebrated my Dad's Birthday and had Christmas with my Dad's side of the family.

White Plume (where I work) is always so gracious to throw a baby shower no matter what child you are expecting (1st or 4th). We opted for a diaper shower for baby Madelyn since we really are pretty covered in the clothes and baby necessities department. We received over 1,000 diapers, plus lots of wipes and a few fun monogrammed things for her! What a blessing it is to work with such wonderful people that truly care about each other. Hannah Cate had such a great time at the shower and I suspect part of her probably thought the "party" was for her. Fine by me, we'll let it be all about her for a little bit longer!


The next night Emily and I cooked a traditional Barnes family meal of spaghetti casserole, French bread and salad for Dad's Birthday dinner. I suspect it's probably hard having a Birthday so close to Christmas, so I was glad we got the chance to celebrate just him for a night! It's hard for me to express just how much I love him and what a special man he is to all of us. I don't think I know anyone that is more self-less and giving than my Dad. You certainly won't find anyone that laughs more than him or anyone that is able to find the good in any situation like he does. I'm so thankful that he is my Dad and thankful for the relationship that we have!

After the Birthday dinner, we had planned to make a trip to see the Zoolight Safari, however the weather did not cooperate with our plans. So instead, we headed to the Galleria to see Santa and ride the carousel. Well, an hour long wait coupled with two 1-year olds getting close to their bed time made us decide to skip Santa all together and skip straight to the carousel. Granddaddy and Mary Rose took the kiddos for their first carousel ride while the rest of us watched and played Papparazi. Cousin A.J. was a trooper, Hannah Cate was not such a fan! Maybe next year!

A pretty good start.....

Went downhill pretty quickly......

And ended like this!

At least somebody was relaxed and had fun!

A sweet memory regardless and hopefully a new tradition!

We ended the weekend with lunch with the entire Barnes family at my Grandmother's house. This was always a Christmas Day tradition in our family, but given the fact that all of our own families have now grown we try to get together at some point before Christmas.

Playing the piano at Grandmother's house was something all the grandchildren did, now the great-grandchildren are taking up the hobby!

We always love to spend time with Aunt Janet. She gave Hannah Cate one of our favorite gifts this year. Hannah Cate especially loves the Baby Jesus and gives him a kiss every time she picks him up. What a great way to start teaching her early about the true meaning of Christmas!

Of course no get together would be complete without some eating....even if it is Goldfish! I am really so thankful this year that Emily and Mick have moved back to the state of Alabama. Hannah Cate and A.J. have had such a great time playing together and it makes our time together that much sweeter!

My Grandmother looked so healthy and pretty. Her mind is pretty much gone, but I know that she loves getting to see the babies (and children) running around and that she loves being surrounded by people that love her!

More to come on the weekend before Christmas and Christmas Eve/Day!

No comments: