Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Great Reminder

One of the things that I love about moving is the chance to clean out, purge and go through papers and pictures that have been tucked away.

While cleaning out my desk this morning, I found a card that my Dad gave me before Hannah Cate was born.  I'm really not a "save every card I receive" kind of person - but this one was special.  It struck a cord with me - not the card itself - but what my Dad hand wrote on the inside.  

The card itself says something to the effect of, "So many good times are in your future".

Dad wrote:
So many happy times
So many trying times
So many loving times
Cherish them all - before you know it she will be grown and gone!

I just couldn't help but think that must be exactly how he feels.  He is speaking from experience.  He's no more than turned around and both of his girls are married and he's taking gifts to our baby showers.  I'll guarantee you that he doesn't remember the crying and whining and late night feedings as much as he remembers teaching us to ride a bike, dance recitals, my softball games, Emily's band trips and proms.  He probably does remember the rate at which $20 bills flew out of his wallet - maybe those were the trying times he was talking about!  I bet he felt like a walking, talking ATM.  

I'm thankful for this reminder to cherish the time with my girls.  I know that in the blink of an eye I'll be writing my own card!   
Barnes family ~ 1981

Me and Dad at HC's baby shower - April 2008

2 comments:

e said...

oh my gosh - look at the baby picture and the picture of maddie on the side bar!! WOW!

just wrote a similar post...with you 100%!

Keri said...

Oh my goodness, your girls look so much like you did.