Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Her First Meal and a Tribute

Well, I wouldn't really call it a meal. She wasn't too thrilled and didn't get past the first bite! We thought she might be ready based on signals our pediatrician told us to watch for, but I guess not. So, we'll hold off and try again later. It sure was fun trying though and we got some good laughs!

And this was her "Okay, that's enough of that" face!

My Mom sent us a sweet little silver spoon for Hannah Cate's first meal that was part of my Grandmama's silver pattern. It's the perfect little spoon for a baby and I feel so grateful and thankful to have it. I loved her so, so much and find myself missing her often these days as I watch Hannah Cate with her grandmothers. She was so kind and loving. The epitome of a Southern Lady. She loved her family, especially all six of her grandchildren. She would do anything for us and loved taking us to the park, shopping, to Baskin Robbins and to get a sucker at the bank where she used to work. Her house was a home and had the most wonderful smell that was so "her". She always had gingerale and saltines waiting for me when I got to her house because I almost always got car sick on the way to her house through the winding roads of Mountain Brook. She had a bubble gum machine at her house and a little basket of dimes so that we could get a piece when we arrived. We always had a Christmas Eve dinner and celebration and an Easter egg hunt at her house every year. She was my friend and such a special lady. I have the fondest memories of her that I will always treasure and look forward to sharing with Hannah Cate someday.

The note Mom sent says: As you enjoy your first real meal, just remember, you were not born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but you inherited one from your Great-Grandmother. She would have loved you so! Almost as much as Mimi does!

I don't have access to all the family albums down here in Fairhope, so these are two of the best pictures I could come up with of my Grandmama. Of course, she's loving on two of her grandbabies (me in the first and my cousin Betsy in the second). These are really so typical of her though, always taking care of someone else, never really concerned for herself. I'm certainly better for having known her and having been loved by her!



2 comments:

The Hokansons said...

You forgot the games of Parcheesi and the marble maze. :-) Such good memories. She would have been so proud of you and what a great mommy you are. I just scanned two pictures of her that I have here, but I can't post pictures in my comment. I guess I'll have to do my own tribute a little later.

Much love!!! Emily

Emily Chappell said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandmother!! I think I love her too!